Thursday, September 22, 2016

Three Interesting Hicks Patents

As I sifted through the victorians I had awaiting photographing and a note or two here, three had interesting patent dates worth mentioning.  The first I’ve discussed here before (See http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2013/09/maybe-not-mabie.html):


I’ve had this one photographed for awhile but haven’t had the chance to write about it.  The patent date is December 24, 1867:


The unique thing about these is the nose pulls out to reveal a reversible pencil section, which actually retracts into the body:


The patent refers to Ryne’s patent number 72,684, which was assigned to Hicks:


This next one was in a small collection I purchased:


Since this one was not the primary objective of my purchase, it wasn’t until later that I noticed it had something more than good looks going for it:


“Pat. May 14 72.”  This is a reference to design patent number 5,851, applied for and issued to William S. Hicks himself, for “the combination of metallic and pearl surfaces, by which a highly ornamental case is produced.”


This last one came from Jim Carpenito at the Raleigh show a few years ago:


It’s more than a little rough, but I thought it was interesting because of the hard rubber extension rod, as well as its sheer size.  Here it is next to a December 24, 1867 patent Hicks:


What clinched the sale for me was a very faint imprint still legible on the barrel:


“Hicks’ Pat. Feb. 19, 67.”  That refers to Richard H. Ryne’s patent for a version of the combination magic pencil/slider dip pen, assigned number 62,227:


No comments: