Saturday, February 17, 2018

A Great Color Name Identified At Last

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 5; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

From what I recall, this Dur-O-Lite popped up in an online auction:


I bought it because it fits in nicely with a few other Dur-O-Lites in my collection in that same color:


The top example in this picture appears on page 45 of The Catalogue, and I’ve had it for years.  The bottom two are Dur-O-Matic repeating pencils; the one in gold-filled trim came from Mike Kirk’s “World Famous Hotel Bathroom Studio” a few years back – it’s appeared here a couple of times (see https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-pair-of-dur-o-lite-ejectors.html and https://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2015/02/an-interesting-transition.html). 

The nickel-plated trim example is a little goofed up and I haven’t been able to fix it yet, which is why I needed an opportunity like this to show it off, warts and all.

What I like best about this new example is that it is a salesman’s sample, which finally puts a name on that knockout color:


Tortoise.

No comments: