Saturday, November 26, 2016

Hooray and Drat Redux

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

My friend Matt McColm recently emailed me to offer up another example of Eversharp’s Dollar pencils, with the bolted on clips that go missing so often that I’m constantly searching for parts to piece different variations back together. When it arrived, I greeted it with a hooray:


But wait . . .


There’s something different about this clip . . .


This is the first time I’ve seen anything like this, and I think the only explanation is that this is a transitional version of the bolted on clip, made by using the existing slots in Z-clip models and placing a bolt underneath it to better secure it.  Later, the top of the bolted clips was simplified to fit into a smaller hole.

No comments: