Saturday, October 1, 2016

Clearing Out a Few More No-Names

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

Most of the time, the “no-name” pencils that find their way into my collection these days arrive in a batch with a bunch of other stuff, like someone you don’t particularly care fore that hangs around with a friend.  Yeah, sure, as long as you’re already here, you might as well stay . . . I’ve got a little drawer of Walthams that have built up over the years that way. 

Today's I picked up on purpose, from Mike Little:


The action isn’t very unusual - just your run-of-the-mill nose drive pencil, but I liked that anodized lower trim band and the faceted top, neither of which I’ve seen before.  The name on the clip is unfamiliar to me as well:


“Pocket Pal.”  That triangular logo might prove to be the clincher some day, but as of now I don’t know what that is.  There is another clue on the barrel:


It’s a salesman’s sample, for the “Sales Builder Sample L-315.”   I think the L designation suggests Lipic, out of St. Louis, but it could just as easily be some random model designation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sales Builder was the name of the Ready-Riter line of the Joseph Lipic Pen Company, the diamond that you see in the center on the clip was the emblem of the Sales Builder Line.

You are right the the L = Lipic (for Joseph Lipic Pen)