Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A Missing Piece of the Ludden Story

A few months ago I was excited to write about an unusual patented pencil, which later unraveled the story of another obscure manufacturer, William (“Red-Legged Devil”) Ludden (see http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2015/12/the-red-legged-devil-or-is-it-devils.html):


I would have included this example, had I been organized enough to know that I had it at the time . . .


and educated enough to know what that WL-ish looking hallmark meant . . .


In fact, if I’d researched this one first, the Ludden connection would have been much more straightforward to find, because the patent date on this one, October 17, 1871, is a correct and direct reference to a William Ludden patent I didn’t mention in my previous articles, number 119,935, for a fairly conventional magic pencil:


No comments: