Sunday, December 13, 2015

That's About Right

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

A few weeks ago I bid on a group of crap . . . er, I mean interesting treasures . . . in an online auction.   It appeared to be what was left in the bottom of someone’s junk box, with a mix of early ballpoints that didn’t work, parts and a few interesting looking pencils.  It was cheap and there were just enough things in that group that looked a little interesting that I knew it would keep me busy for a couple hours.  What the hell, I thought.  It’s cheaper than a movie ticket these days.

What I didn’t even notice was that the seller was Rob Bader, a longtime friend with enough great stories to fill an evening and  a reputation for being a bit of a prankster.  After you see this one, if you know Rob, you’ll say as the title of the article suggests, that’s about right.

One of the things in Rob’s bag of tricks – and it wasn’t one of the things I thought might be interesting, mind you – was this one:


Hmmmm.... unmarked, and not American . . .


Jon’s unwritten laws of pencil collecting specify, in the absence of American origin or manufacturers marking, that this one must be either (a) attributable to a manufacturer or (b) freakishly awesome.  I have no idea who made it, so you know where this one was going.

I couldn’t figure out how to advance the lead - no amount of twisting the cap made any difference, so I decided to jot something to see if maybe the lead advance was tip-actuated . . .


. . . and as I pressed the “lead” onto the table . . .


Sproing!

No comments: