Thursday, December 24, 2015

Ritest of the Rite

That same seller that had the 40-pencil lot including that Ripley Vacumatic posted a similar lot a few months ago, which included this one:


I wasn’t entirely sure what this one would be, with those fuzzy pictures.  When it arrived, I found it was a Rite-Rite:


That distinctive plastic really stood out.  The only other ones I’ve seen along these lines have been in an equally distinctive, teal-colored  plastic:


There’s some nice detail work on the lower barrel:


And on the top, a surprise that didn’t show up in the pictures:


That’s not a sticker: that “3 1/4" emblem is built into the plastic, and I haven’t seen that feature on the teal ones.   I thought maybe it might be a more-permanent-than-usual price sticker, so I checked the library at the Pen Collectors of America (www.pencollectorsofamerica.com) to find out at what price point they were offered.  The library has a 1938 Rite-Rite catalog, and this one is listed – at a price of $74.60 per gross:


The “3 1/4" was the model designation, derived from its lead capacity of 3 1/4 inches.   This is only the second color I’ve encountered, but they came in “black and assorted pearl metallic colors,” served . . .


. . . in a “jewelry type display box.”   How cool is that!

1 comment:

James James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.