Thursday, December 10, 2015

A Fist Full of Dollar Pencils

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I’ve picked up a few other (non-Nozac) pencils over the last few months.  I’ll start with one from the company’s “$1.00 Pencil” line of the mid-1920s:


One of these – I don’t remember which – I picked up because I couldn’t remember if I had a red one.  I did, but it still didn’t wind up in my duplicates box, because of a couple subtle differences.  Some of these lack that band around the nose:


In the case of Parker, a band like that indicates the crimping which holds the outer shell onto the mechanism; in the case of Conklin, apparently that band was purely decorative.  And then there’s a small difference in the tops:


The only catalog in the PCA’s library which shows these pencils is the 1926 edition where it appears only in black, red and light blue . . .


. . . with a band around the nose and the longer top.   So the only documentation out there is for a pencil that matches neither of these.

The next catalog I know of that shows Conklin’s dollar pencils is the 1930-31 edition, also in the PCA’s library, in which the number 6 appears in a tiny picture at the bottom of page 8:


Note that Conklin’s dollar pencils evolved backwards from what you might expect – from a straight ferrule with an exposed eraser to a crown cap more typical of pencils from the early 1920s.  I’ve found a couple of these recently:


The upper example matches what’s shown in the catalog, with gold-plated trim (not very well plated, in fact) and the Mooney 1918 patent clip.  The other, however, has cheaper steel trim and a very un-Conklin z-clip:


Were it not for the imprint, I wouldn’t have guessed this other one was a Conklin, and since the development of this line has already proven counterintuitive, I wouldn’t hazard a guess as to which came first – or even whether they were offered at the same time.  The steel trim example isn’t working very well, due to wear on the internal parts; that’s unfortunate, but it does provide an opportunity to show you what’s inside:


Had soft aluminum not been used for the barrel liner, this would be a pretty elegant nose-drive mechanism.


No comments: