Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Granddaddy of Bug

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 3; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

I was surfing around an online auction site when I noticed this pair:


The Morton’s Salt accommodation clips are pretty cool, but about half the time you see these advertising clips, it’s going to be a Morton’s Salt clip. And there’s also something about that wood pencil that caught my attention:


"Bilt Well Wood Work." The name "Biltwell" in association with a pencil has me wondering now whether the Biltwell line of pencils weren’t the offshoot of a wood pencil company’s operations . . . that’s a research project for a rainy day, but that wasn’t what caught my attention about this pair, either.

The auction title indicated that the metal pencil shown was a Redipoint, but there was one thing about it that didn’t look quite right:


That top looked almost like what you’d expect to see in a Redipoint, but not quite . . .


That had my "antennae" up . . . I’m particularly in tune with these slight differences on the outside, because of the very different things you might find inside. First, there was the unique lead storage gizmo I nicknamed "the bug" (see http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-bug.html):


Then as I rousted through my box of Brown & Bigelow pencils, I ran across one that was an early repeating pencil, which I jokingly referred to as "son of bug" (see http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2014/10/son-of-bug.html):


As I researched "Son of Bug," I was amazed at how many different versions of the repeating pencil Brown & Bigelow experimented with in the late teens. I was wondered as I looked at the pictures: could this be one of the other ones?

When the pencil arrived, there were a couple clues that would prove helpful. First was the imprint:


"Patent pending." Even more helpful was the personalization engraved on the barrel:


"29th Annual Convention Minnesota Bankers Association / Minneapolis June 27-28, 1918." June of 1918 is significant in the Brown & Bigelow timeline: while B&B was founded in the nineteenh century, the earliest advertisements I’ve found for the company’s pencils were printed in 1920. This is an early Redipoint.

And then I took it apart . . .


That dimple on the barrel engages a slot in the cap, which is held in place by spring tension. The cap is all that retains the cartridge repeater mechanism inside:


Looking back at the patents enumerated in the "Son of Bug" article, none of them fit this pencil – none match the profile, and all are too late to be our pencil (with a patent still pending in June, 1918). To find the right one, I had to go back to the very first patent issued to Howard L. Fischer and Frank J. Kristofek, the duo who went on to co-event dozens of designs for Brown & Bigelow. That first patent, number 1,349,950, was applied for on October 30, 1917 and wasn’t issued until August 17, 1920:


There was one other Fischer/Kristofek patent which was pending in June of 1918: number 1,351,916 was applied for on May 7, 1918. The two are close enough that without tearing that cartridge apart, I can’t be positive that the improvements from this later patent weren’t incorporated into it:


Whether this was the first or the close second of B&B’s, it predates any Redipoint I’ve ever found. In fact, according to my patent book, Brown and Bigelow was only assigned one patent before this one, for a clip:


Huh. Maybe I’ll slip that Morton’s salt clip back on there after all.

No comments: