Monday, April 1, 2013

In Celebration of the Day

Here’s a Sheaffer that turned up in an online auction. I remember that I didn’t pay to much for it, because I wasn’t too sure about it:


The picture was pretty bad online, and the seller appeared to know so little that I knew I might as well ask him if it was a remote control for a microwave oven. No point asking questions – just roll the dice if you’re going to. I decided to give it a whirl, because I could tell that this was a grey marbled flat ball clip Sheaffer (good), that it was a little bigger than usual, judging from its comparative size to the junkers it was posed with (good), and it has an extraordinarily wide band (potentially fantastic).

But when I received the pencils, throwing away all but this one, I took a closer look at that band, and something looked a little bit fishy . . .


That looks like a later Sheaffer band, and at the top, what’s that peeking out underneath?


April fools on me! It is a later Sheaffer band, unmercifully jammed onto this hapless pencil somewhere along the line to give it a little extra pizzazz, I suppose. But what the heck:


I didn’t have one like this – sans pizzazz.

No comments: