Thursday, February 7, 2013

Might As Well

"I’m going to try to buy something today," I told Janet as we were heading out to the Scott Antique Market last month. She looked at me a little confused.

"I mean online," I clarified. "There’s something closing today and I put in a big bid on it."

I was half hoping that I would get outbid quickly. My bid was very healthy, more than I usually spend at the Scott Antique Market in an entire day of shopping over there, but still I figured it wasn't enough. Since I didn't feel right blowing that much money in one day between the online auctions and the show, I figured the minute someone outgunned me online, I’d get to relax at the show and loosen up my wallet a little.

The bidding online stalled out at just a hair under four hundred dollars with an hour and a half or so left to go. I wandered aimlessly up and down the aisles at the antique show, afraid to spend any real money until I knew the auction results and making mental notes of the things I’d swing back around for later if I hadn’t already busted the bank for the day. Every time I saw something interesting, I checked my phone to check the status of my bid. Yeah. I was that guy.

But as the online clock ticked down to zero, no one else came forward with another bid. My budget was toast, and for the most part, my trip to the Scott Antique Market was mostly just a leisurely walk around the room. Still, I was very happy.

So what had me stingier than a pre-Christmas Eve Scrooge at an antique show?


Joe Nemecek says I’ve gone Patrician crazy lately, but that’s not quite true. Yes, I’ve blogged about Patricians twice lately -- on August 24, 2012, when I profiled a jade green Waterman "proto-Patrician" (as it has been nicknamed), and just a couple of weeks ago on January 16, when I introduced a bandless moss agate example sporting a Waterman 92 clip.

Both times, as the topic of "weird Waterman Patrician" examples came up, I wished I’d had one of these for comparison. I’ve known about this variant for years, ever since I saw a set auctioned at the Chicago Pen Show years ago, and I thought it would have been great to have one on hand to compare with the other two odd ducks. Now that another one finally came around, I thought I might as well try to pick it up to round out the discussion!

Towards the end of the 1930s, Waterman made a few Patricians which had solid middle bands instead of the usual ones with intricate cutouts. Here’s my other banded Patrician in turquoise, with a "normal" Patrician band:


While both of these have the same clip, it isn’t the one usually found on the Patrician, either –


That’s the clip more often seen on the Waterman Number 7 (and something very similar is also sometimes found on the Ink-Vue Deluxe – see "My New ‘Parts’ Pencil" posted on December 28, 2011):


Also, note that while the solid band example here is significantly shorter than a typical Patrician, that different in length is solely due to the much shorter tip section:


After I’d played around with this new pencil for a little while, I stepped back for a moment and thought about the three unusual Patricians I’d picked up lately: the "proto-Patrician," the bandless moss agate Patrician and this one. It dawned on me that I’d gotten something wrong about the "proto-Patrician"– something that a reader emailed me about and told me I’d gotten wrong, but I didn’t quite believe – but my three weird Patrician pencils now prove beyond question.

So tomorrow, I’ll explain that and set the record straight —

No comments: