Thursday, September 6, 2012

Diamonds, But Not In The Rough

Collectors of Diamond Points draw a bright line between the high quality pieces the company made during their early days in the 1920s and the more conventional, but cheaper pens and pencils the company turned out from the late 1930s forward. But say what you will about their later stuff, the colors and patterns they used were just spectacular and nearly all were unique to this brand.

In a weak moment, I saw two in separate online auctions a few weeks ago, and even though I thought the opening bids were a little high on both of them I simply couldn’t resist them:


The one is in a great black, orange and gold swirl, and the other . . . well, it just makes me a little dizzy to look at:


These both sport a clip which is also, to my knowledge, unique to Diamond Points, with the company’s name inset into an appropriately diamond-shaped area:


Which brings me to the little tidbit I held back in yesterday’s article about the "Pato" clips. What I didn’t tell you yesterday was that when I consulted George Kovalenko’s book, I found that Harry Esterow received not two, but three design patents for the "Pato" clips on March 17, 1931. Here’s the third, design patent number 83,673:

And NOW you know . . . well, the rest of the story that I know. At least for now!

No comments: