Thursday, July 5, 2012

So THAT's What It's Supposed to Look Like!

I've had this laying around the house for awhile now.  It came from an online auction, and I was surprised no one else went for it.

It's a glass plate with a negative image of Hutcheon pencils, which would be used to make "contact prints" in a darkroom.  This plate would have been laid directly onto a sheet of photographic paper; when light would be shot through it onto the paper, the lighter areas would allow light to pass through and expose the paper (which would turn dark).  It was probably used for the company's catalogs in house, since a glass plate would have been far too fragile to send off to newspapers for advertising . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




6 comments:

anonimo said...

Funny (and accurate as well...) description of what a contact-print is. The same goes for the wet darkroom (I still have my b&w enlarger at home, and my wife is threatening me with the usual "either the enlarger or you have to leave" ;-)
Anyways: Great image you've got!

Joe Nemecek said...

Just outstanding!

Mike Kirk said...

This image is just breathtaking. Not just the image but the glass as well! The results have a 3-D effect. Unique find! I love it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a great great grandaughter of one of the hutcheon brothers and it's great to see family memories on your site. we still have the 3rd one from the right at my dad's house. thanks for your enthusiasm

Jon Veley said...

Hey there anonymous, I'd love to hear more from you. Hutcheon is one on those shadowy, high quality brands that we pencilphiles don't know much about. I have a lot of questions for you -- like what were the brothers' names, and what was their relationship with Mabie Todd?

Drop me an email if you get the chance at jveley@jonathanveley.com.

Andrew said...

Fascinating story. What year would you put on the plate Jonathan?