Friday, June 29, 2012

Man on a Mission

I've been on a bit of a mission lately to fill in the gaps in my Eversharp collection, so I've been making a point to check my collection when I see an Eversharp in what looks like a common color.

When this one came along in an online auction, I was surprised to see that I didn't have it:


So I swooped in.  This is an Equipoised "clasp pencil", and for whatever reason a plain old black and pearl example had eluded me until this point.  These frequently slip under the radar, because other than a faint imprint on the barrel, only the shape and the unique clip give its identity away:


Clasp pencils are frequently mistaken for "purse pencils," since the only difference between them are the colors they come in and the center band.  Here's the shot of them taken from page 63 of The Catalogue:


In the 1931 Wahl Eversharp catalog, the clasp pencils are larger, probably to make them appeal more to a manlier customer base.   That led me to write in The Catalogue that "as this picture shows, the size difference must have been exaggerated."

But then I put the new addition alongside my other clasp pencils, and whaddaya know . . .


OK, time for a correction.  The size of some of them was exaggerated!

No comments: