Saturday, March 17, 2012

One That Got Away: Parker Cobra

You can't win them all.

Most of the time, what you see here at the blog are the things that I've successfully chased down.  It's a lot easier to write about the things that are in my collection, since I don't have to negotiate with other people for permission to use their pictures or waste a lot of money shipping things back and forth. 

But sometimes, buying a pencil just doesn't pan out for one reason or another, whether the seller just wants too much money or I've just spent too much money for the day.   In the past, I've just had to content myself with the memory of "the ones that got away." 

I'm trying to get a little better about that.  At the Ohio Show last November, I actually had the foresight to bring my camera with me and thought to take pictures of some of the things that I just couldn't bring myself to take home with me.  No, I didn't have the foresight to photograph Cliff Harrington's Flamingo Deco Band pencil, and I'm still kicking myself that I didn't.

But when a fellow stopped me to show me this one and told me he wanted a thousand dollars for it, I did have the composure to remember my camera . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




No comments: