Saturday, March 3, 2012

Eversharp Week Part 6: Square 4 in Triplicate

I've pictured a variety of Eversharp's "Square 4" pencils at page 71 of The Catalogue, and I'll admit the assortment is a bit of a mess.  In fact, that photo is one of the original photographs I shot for my online museum in 2009, before I was very good at either (1) photography and (2) organization.

The "Square 4" pencils, introduced around 1937, were utility pencils with exposed erasers, named for the lead they were designed to use:  four inches long and square in shape.  There are so many varieties that it's easy to put together quite a collection just of these, and they are still so reasonably priced that you can have a whole lot of fun for not a whole lot of cash.

Recently I've picked up a few that are worthy of note . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company


No comments: