Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Repair Tutorial: Sheaffer Middle Joint Pencils

The other day, John Hubbard sent to me a Sheaffer Commandant military clip pencil to repair.  When it arrived, the pencil looked like this.  The problem is a common one:  there's a gap between the upper and lower halves of the pencil.  Although it's harmless, it's unsightly.  Here's what the problem looks like up close:

There's been speculation as to whether it's shrinkage, but I think probably not.  More likely is that years of pulling the top off to get at the eraser or spare leads has pulled the brass tubes out slightly.   The repair takes a light touch but is fairly simple, so today I will walk you through it step-by-step.

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

For additional fine tuning of your repair, you may try to use various pieces of sandpaper( grits) and in circular motion rotate the tube wo remove the last bits of material again care not to be in contact with the finished surfaces.

Tom Heath

Jack7770 said...

Thanks, Jon; I've been frustrated by the same gap in several WASPs I have. You've solved another problem. Thanks
Jack Shuttleworth, Colrado Springs.

mark_line said...

Thanks Jon.
I wonder if it would be simpler to do the barrel and mechanism treatment first, then the cap tube if needed?

Jrschex36@cox.net said...

Jrschex36@cox.net
My pencil after many years of my use, was did in by a person that " borrowed" it. Broke the screw off waiting end tip. After taking it apart, found our that a part of the screw on device had broken off. Like like a death in my family, I had this pencil with me for a lot of years.
Can that part be reared or repace?
Or can you direct me to a place that can repaire this?
I all ready have another one, do not want to purchase another pencils. These are marked on the inside of the barrel & body. That is how I located my pencils after it was " borrowed"
Please let me know if anything can be done?
Julian R Schexnayder
If needed. 6027956480 please ask for Roger as I go by that name, eaiser for every one.
6501 North LA PALOMA ESTE
Phoenix, AZ 85014
Thank you

Jrschex36@cox.net said...

Should be writing
Replaced?
My corrections.