Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Sheaffer Pearlies Part 2: and Then There Were Seven

When I left off yesterday, I had "discovered" (or rather, learned of the existence of) a sixth variation on the Sheaffer Pearlie and was quite proud of myself:   But since four of this "new to me" variation had surfaced within just a couple weeks, I resolved that I would pay even more attention to Sheaffer pearlies when they passed by my way.

Within just a couple of days, I saw an ebay listing for something that didn't quite make sense to me.  It appeared to be a Sheaffer pearlie in green, but the clip looked like a regular balance flat ball clip and the listing title said "Sheaffer Jr."  The picture was a little fuzzy, but Matt McColm, who pointed it out to me, said it was exactly what it appeared to be.

Hmmm.  A possible seventh variation?  I added it to my watched items list.  And then I did something I rarely do. 

I forgot to bid.

I later found out Daniel Kirchheimer won the auction.  Since Daniel has helped me out by offering suggestions and corrections to my blog, I felt comfortable emailing him to ask if he would send me a good picture of this pencil to use here at the blog.  He said he would when he received it.

But the next time I heard from him, it wasn't to send me a picture.. it was to ask if I'd part with one of the carmine red military clip Sheaffer pencils I'd featured in my December 6 article, "A Tale of Three Pencils . . . or Maybe Five."  I hinted that he had a certain Sheaffer pearlie that I had forgotten to bid on -- no, he said, he wouldn't trade for that one.

But, he said, he'd trade me the other one he has.  He sent me a picture of the pair of them . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company



No comments: