Saturday, December 17, 2011

It's Not a Jingle Bell

I get a few emails a day from people who stumble across my Mechanical Pencil Museum or this blog because they are looking for answers about the only pencil they have.  Whether it's someone who found an old pencil in grandma's desk or an antique dealer who thinks he might have found the piece that's his key to a long retirement, I give them all credit for taking the time to try to learn a little bit along the way.  I also try to answer their questions in a way that encourages them to want to learn more. 

Sometimes, though, it's a little hard to keep from giggling at how they describe what they have.

Since we are full on into the holiday season, I thought this would be a good time for this one.   A reader emailed me to ask a question about his relative's "Christmas pencil" that he had just inherited.   I asked him what made it a Christmas pencil, and he said it had a jingle bell on top.   Interesting, right?  So I asked if the pencil had any markings on it, and he indicated that yes, his Christmas pencil said "Bell System" on the barrel.

Ah, I said.  And over the fields I went, laughing all the way (ha ha ha).  We had our diagnosis . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company



No comments: