Monday, November 7, 2011

Hello and welcome!

Greetings, pencil fans!  
My name is Jon Veley, and this past weekend I launched my new book, "The Catalogue of American Mechanical Pencils," at the Ohio Pen Show in Columbus (well, actually Dublin), Ohio.   Whew.   Books are heavy.  Here's a shot from Sunday:
I suppose if I had stayed at my table all weekend, I probably would have sold a few more books and I certainly wouldn't have spent as much money as I did.  But thanks to the kindness of friends and family (thanks Janet, Heather, Michael and John) I did manage to find the time to roam around a bit and empty my wallet.   Here's what I ended up coming home with:

Now in all fairness, the lower case contains mostly stuff that I had found between the time my book went to press and the Ohio Show.   However, I have found all these things since The Catalogue went to press, so none of them are in the book.  Some are minor variations on themes already covered in the book: maybe a different band here, or a different color there, nothing that significantly changes what's already been written.  But others are really neat discoveries that I really wish I had known about when I was finishing up the book.  And of course, every day I learn something new.
That's why I decided to start this blog: to update the world on what's been turning up since The Catalogue was written.  I'm not sure how often I'll be adding material (I do have a day job that sometimes gets in the way), but I'll shoot for daily and play that one by ear.   A couple of my fellow pencil fanatics have expressed some interest in contributing guest blogs, which sounds like a pretty good idea to me, too.
So stay tuned and enjoy! 

No comments: