Monday, November 21, 2011

Auction of the Century

For those who haven't been to the Ohio Pen Show in the first week of November, you should go.  It is my favorite show of the year, and I'm not just saying that because I live just half an hour or so away from the venue.  Besides having about the best selection of vintage writing instruments of any show, the atmosphere is just more relaxed and social than at the other big shows (well, I can't speak for LA, but certainly compared to DC and Chicago). 

One of the highlights of the Ohio Show each year is the auctions.  Saturday's auction is usually the one featuriing a wide variety of rare and mostly mint pens and other writing instruments, some of which sell for significant prices.

This story is not about that auction.

The other auction is held on Thursday night, and although the advertising doesn't call it such, it's more of a "parts auction" featuring lesser quality items, parts, and larger lots.  Many of the people who exhibit at the show like to buy these items for repair, restoration or simply to restock their parts bins.  That's usually where I find the pencils.

This year, there was only one lot I was going to bid on:  the "Eversharp Pencil Lot" . . .

NOTE:  This article is now included in the print version of The Leadhead's Pencil Blog, available anywhere you buy books, or also from The Legendary Lead Company.

To order, here's the link:  Volume 1 at Legendary Lead Company




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great reading - thank you. I would be cautious about saying that Century "made" pencils, however. The pens sold under the Century name were assembled from parts that were purchased, largely from CE Barrett (I am reasonably confident that Century never turned a piece of rod stock or fabricated a nib or feed). I have three or four or five Century pencils at home and some bear patent information that confirms that the pencils were purchased from other producers. Anyway, I always seek out Century pencils when I can find them (scarcer than hen's teeth) so am very happy to see the ones that you've managed to acquire.

Best,

Dave Johannsen

Jon Veley said...

Good point. In The Catalogue, I draw a distinction for many makers between "manufacturing" (actually making) and "producing" (having them specially made for your account). Perhaps producing would be a better phrase to use.